Monday, December 20, 2010

12 Days of Christmas

As I have mentioned in previous posts, Christmas is a favorite time of the year for my MIL. She always went overboard on doing for others which every one always appreciated. Now, Christmas is a time that she feels helpless and a reminder that she can't "do Christmas" like she used to.

The other day we were making candy and preparing bags for the people at my office. My MIL came in the room and asked me what day it was, I told her; then she asked what the date was, I told her. She said, "so I have twelve days until Christmas." I said,"yes, why do you ask." She said, "well, I have to get some gifts for my friends at the center." I thought this was probably something she was worrying about so I said, "oh, you probably don't need to worry about that" (thinking first, there were probably 100 people that go there daily, and secondly, that no one expected to get gifts for each other). She said, "well, they have gotten me gifts" and I said, "oh, what have they given you?" She said, "well, I don't remember for sure but I think I ate it all!"

I loved it! So, I told her we would take care of it. We would make candy bags for her friends at the center so she could take it to them. Two minutes earlier I told my husband how nice it was not to have to buy our daughters friends gifts. I spoke too soon----instead we will be buying gifts (or making gifts) for my MIL's friends! Heelarious!!

Twelve days to Christmas and everyday we work hard to make it a "normal" Christmas for her! It is what it is! Life is good over the hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment