Sunday, June 14, 2020

How Old Am I?

Birthdays are my favorite!  I think you should have birthday weeks rather than birth "days".  My MIL turned 80 in 2019 and at this point in her disease the nursing home said its too hard for her to leave.  In the past we would take her out to eat and maybe do some shopping but the return back had gotten to be difficult.  

Christmas 2018 was the hardest.  My husband had picked her up and brought her to our house.  As emptynesters we moved from our home of 20 years to downsize in the Fall of 2018.  When we brought her for Christmas day, it totally threw her for a loop.  She did not understand where she was (Houston, Sugar Land, Frankston, Abilene, etc.) and she kept looking for her room.  It was the saddest thing to witness and of course, as soon as she ate lunch she was ready to go.

So, back to the Birthdays!  She turned 80 in July and we decided we would take her lunch, a cake and some balloons to celebrate her big birthday.  My parents who are the same age, but thankfully are in good health, were kind enough to join us.  My sister and her twins came as well.  My MIL kept asking whose birthday is it, how old am I, and making the comment that "oh, that is old" when we told her she was turning 80.  She was thrilled to have all the attention!








No comments:

Post a Comment