Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Release

I am going to start blogging ......I've decided this could be a great release for "getting things off our chest", right?

There's alot going on this time of year with all of the holiday festivities, parties, decorating, and spending time with family you don't always get to see. Last night we went to the Retirement Home to celebrate Christmas with my mother-in-law (MIL) who has Frontal Temporal Dementia. She turned 70 this year and is for all intense purposes very young.

When we arrived the marketing director told us that my MIL didn't know anything about the party and told her that she didn't know if her kids were coming. She assured her that we were since we had RSVP'ed to the invitation. My MIL said, "we'll I didn't invite them, but if they are coming I better go change". My husband had talked to her several times during the week about the event and how we were coming, etc.

For the first time, it seems like we are losing her. Up until now she has displayed the usual symptoms of forgetfulness, misplacing things, asking the same thing over and over, which we have found humor in. But last night when you looked into her eyes, it was if we are losing her; as if she was no longer there----her mind has left us but her body is still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment